Saturday, July 02, 2005

Hard Day

Today was a hard day at the hospital where I volunteer. I experienced my first fatality. A 2-year old girl was brought in unconscious. The person who brought her in said that they were driving (a long drive) and she passed out from the heat. . .it's possible maybe if she was on the side of the sun and was by the window. I really hope that's the truth.
They rushed her in and immediately performed CPR and got the drugs they needed. Of course, I can't do anything, but I stood in the room and watched. They worked on her for a half an hour. It was really sad. It was good to see how everyone reacted; everyone did what they needed to do. . .and when they pronounced her dead there were things they all needed to do and they did it.
the attending physician was amazing. She did her job and tried to keep everyone calm, gave orders, etc. She made the decision to stop working on her. There was nothing else they could do. Later, though, after they were cleaning her up you could tell she had been crying. It was hard on everybody.

I also saw a guy get a camera put down his esophogus and into his stomach. That part of the day was cool.

No comments: