Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I am tired. My legs hurt. My arms hurt. My back hurts. My throat is starting to get scratchy.

No, it's not the flu but something of my own doing. Two jobs, two classes, and little sleep.

I knew it would take getting used to and I know that I will find ways to make sure I'm getting rest (preferably not by skipping class because I didn't wake up like I did yesterday) and taking care of myself but right now . . . I gotta admit, it's tough. Whether it's dealing with difficult residents (difficult or no, they still make me smile and I love them) or difficult LPNs (definitely don't make me smile), I've had a difficult week at the nursing home. Really, I gotta say, the difficulty is coming from the LPNs. One, I think, is trying to be helpful, but the other night when I got stuck a hall that had multiple fall risks so they need to get to bed quick and multiple residents that shouldn't sit in their wheelchairs too long so they need to get to bed quick, I was frustrated beyond all get out at her "help." I'm still learning the routine, I'm still slow and I can't put 5 people to bed at once! Then there's another one that likes to just order me around like I'm stupid. But when there's someone else who's supposed to be doing something they don't say anything. Or when there are a couple of CNAs who just disappear for large chunks of time, nothing is said. Grrrr....ok I know I got myself into this and I really do enjoy it. I love taking care of the residents. I will somehow deal with the other people and try to be patient.

Classes are going well. I did well on my first test in pathophysiology. It was a LOT easier than I expected it to be. I have a quiz tomorrow in the class I slept through yesterday. . .the quizzes are tricky; it's not just memorize info and get the answer right. It's essay questions that you have to think a lot about and explain it well. I'm used to that though; that's what all my Bio tests in college were like. And right now all the material is stuff I learned already in Bio so I just have to review it basically.

Oh and I'm still attempting leading Bible study although we haven't had anyone come the last few weeks. And I started teaching a Sunday school class.

So yes, a lot going on and I am tired for sure (I do still get 7 - 8 hours of sleep a night so really I can't complain too much, I guess) but overall, it's all good. I may have to take a day off at the conference office soon just to try to rest and get some things around the house done. My room is an absolute mess and driving me crazy. Hmm...same with my desk at the office. . .I should work on that now, you know since I'm here! ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope everything is going ok for you. I was just thinking about you! Watch out for those old mean LPNs!!