Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Creation, evolution: the ongoing debate

I received my weekly issue of Time magazine today. The cover story: Evolution Wars. It's about the old yet ongoing issue of evolution and creation. Recently, many schools are coming up with curriculum that emphasizes that evolution is a theory (still teaching it) but also giving students the chance to explore other ideas, like intelligent design. It's an interesting article.
They have this question presented in the article: Can you believe in God and evolution? Two of the responses were from people who argue that you can and they do. Then there are two who say it's not possible although one (the president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) argues against it more, saying he believes in the 6-day creation, word for word Genesis account.
I used to before I actually studied science. I believe in God, I have my whole life, but there is too much scientific evidence for me to believe that the account is Genesis is some kind of historical fact. In an Old Testament class I took my professor pointed out that the writer, or writers of Genesis did not write it to be a science or history book. It was written as a theological statement. The Bible should not be used to teach us about science and science should not be used to tell us about God.

In the article, Francis Collins, Director of the National Genome Research Institute said something I really like:
"I see no conflict in what the Bible tells me about God and what science tells me about nature. Like St. Augustine in A.D. 400, I do not find the wording of Genesis 1 and 2 to suggest a scientific textbook but a powerful and poetic description of God's intentions in creating the universe. The mechanism of creation is left unspecified. If God, who is all powerful and who is not limited by space and time, chose to use the mechanism of evolution to create you and me, who are we to say that wasn't an absolutely elegant plan? And if God has now given us the intelligence and the opportunity to discover his methods, that is something to celebrate."
(Time magazine, August 15, 2005, page 34)

I think different views should be taught in science classes. I think die-hard evolutionists should consider the basis for people who believe in intelligent design and die-hard 6 day creationists should look at the scientific evidence. One thing I also think: they should spend too much time on it. There is so much to learn when it comes to science if you dwell on the origin part you miss all the good stuff!!!!
Another thing: there are so many things that Christians need to pay attention to that it is worthless to spend too much on a debate that will most likely never end.

No comments: