Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Fat Jeans

Over the weekend I had to do something that had the potential to become a very depressing event: I went jeans shopping.
I wouldn't need to go jeans shopping necessarily because I have more jeans now than I have ever had in my life. However, I finally had to come to grips with the fact that many of those numerous pairs of jeans no longer fit.
Everytime I put them on it results in a huge bulge of fat over the tops that no shirt, no matter how big, will never hide.
So I walked into Old Navy, went straight for the boot leg, waist just below my belly button, with a little stretch jeans. I picked up some that were the size I used to wear and a size larger. I could handle the size larger. . .if they didn't fit, I think I would've thrown a fit.
I went into the dressing room and prepared for the worst. As I figured, the size I used to wear fit everywhere but the waist and belly. They could be buttoned but the looming fat bulge was there. No two ways around it. So....while reciting to myself "size doesn't matter, all that matters is that they fit...size doesn't matter, all that matters is that they fit." I tried to imagine Clinton and Stacy from TLC's What Not To Wear telling me that with a frightened look in my eye. I did it! I put the size larger pair on and they fit! Ok so the legs are a little baggy but the waist fits and there is no fat bulge.
Now I must say that the Old Navy jeans I bought are nothing compared to the amazing jeans (albeit odd sized) that I bought at the Polo outlet over Christmas. Those are the most amazing jeans I have ever worn. I've noticed that when I wear the Old Navy jeans once they are stretched out to the point I have to hike them up to the point I feel like I'm wearing mom jeans. Oh well. Maybe that will be motivation to lose some weight so my pre-fat jeans will fit. (I don't want the fat jeans to ever feel nonfat!)
I was proud of myself though. No freaking out, just happy I have jeans that fit. And they really do look better than tight ones that don't.

No comments: