Thursday, November 01, 2007

a few little revelations

Last night I went to J's youth group meeting and helped cook a meal. It was the birthday of his foreign exchange student so he wanted to make a dish from his native country (Thailand).
He found a recipe and I told him that I could pick up anything that he couldn't get down where he lived. There are several asian markets (I now know of 3 just within a mile or two of my apartment) so I could easily pick up hard to find ingredients. I got the things that he said he couldn't get at a regular grocery store only to get to the church to have him ask me "where's the rest of the stuff?" Apparently he thought I was picking up everything right down to the green onions! I was very proud of myself; I calmly explained that I thought he was getting that stuff and that it was my understanding I was only getting things that he couldn't get at the grocery store. I did apologize for forgetting to bring the garlic though; I had said that I'd bring that since I already had some.
Anyway, there was someone he called that could go pick up the rest of it, so it worked out ok. I did think it was funny though because no one was surprised that there was a miscommunication; apparently a few of the adults have had their moments of confusion with him. I'll have to remember that.
So now I know that I just have to make sure we're very clear on plans and who's responsible for what. I'm glad it turned out ok though. It was a lot of fun.

It got me to thinking about how everyone has their own talents and things they like to do. . .the last few weeks I've really realized I love to cook. I really do. And not just the end result of the meal but the process of cooking. I always make a huge mess but that's part of the fun. I don't like feeling rushed about it because the whole process is theraputic. I also love that J will help me clean up! :-) I love trying new things and using fresh, different ingredients. I'm not sure why this surprises me so much.

Another thing I started thinking of has to do with a comment one of the other adults made last night. I needed help lighting the stove (I really am afraid of sticking a match down through the little grate while the gas is on) so asked someone to light it but then needed another one lit a little bit later and he said "boy you sure are demanding." I knew he was joking but in an effort to keep myself from actually thinking I was being too demanding I said "I'm just at take charge individual." Of course, this isn't true, but what's funny is the guy said "Good, J needs a take charge kind of woman!" I thought this was interesting. J is a very type-A organized individual. But I have noticed (and after getting some insight from other people) that he can also be a bit of a flake. Which, I guess, is just his 23-year-old guy-ness coming out. Sometimes it's frustrating. It's good to know about though so I can learn how to deal with it. One way I don't want to deal with it is by being a nag about things. I cringe everytime one (or all) of the women around here start talking about their husbands like they're idiots. I don't want to be like that! I'm sure in some ways it's inevitable but I don't want to just assume he can't do things for himself or that I'll always have to handle things myself. I don't think it would really be like with him but I think we both have the tendency to be passive about some things and may help each other out in that area.

One thing about last night was seeing how much he truly loves being a youth pastor. He loves working with the kids and really wants to help them and be there for them. Last night after I got home he called me and talked to me about some of the different kids and what is going on with them and how he's trying to help. One thing that has been happening lately is a few of the boys just come over to play video games (that's what happened the Saturday I was there and ended up making tacos; they still talk about it). Oh my last week one of the guys said something like "if you two get married, you're going to start off with like 6 kids." I just laughed and thought "if only you knew how ironic that really was." I like getting to hang out with them from time to time. It's a bunch of guys. I haven't hung out with any of the girls really, that intimidates me a little more. I do get to help with a lock-in soon though! Eek!

So going back to what I was saying before, married women, I have a question (or two) for you. . . .in what ways does your husband step up that you really appreciate? And in what ways does his "guy-ness" come out that annoys you and how do you deal with it?

No comments: