Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Home, part 2

Ok read the previous post before you read this one or it won't make any sense ;-)

After writing the previous post I got to thinking about my mom. And my dad too. I don't think I know how difficult the moving was for them. My dad didn't decide to go to seminary until he was 30. Until then they just lived in Hartford probably thinking that they'd end up staying near where both of them had grown up. Mom had known nothing but living in Bunker Hill until she got married. And then she was only 1/2 hour away.
And somehow they had to try to make a home for us all in every new place. I told my dad at one point before going to CO that I resented his profession because where it took us. How hard was that for him to hear? After moving to CO I remember finding out that my dad felt like he could do nothing to make me happy. Nothing he did was good enough. Whoa. I've never forgotten that.
My parents never really had any friends. They almost couldn't. You never could know when someone might turn on you. In the last few years they've found more people outside of their churches that have become a kind of supportive community for them which is good.

How did they do it? How did they make a home for us? I know at some point my dad was thinking about going to a different conference but didn't becuase he didn't want to uproot us so much.

It must have been so hard on them, especially mom. I don't think I've ever really thought about it before. It makes me have a bit more respect for them.

No comments: