Monday, October 01, 2007

Down on the farm

The weekend was wonderful. BF and I got to my grandparents' farm around 11:30 on Friday night. I was up by 6 on Saturday (I was anxious to surprise grandma and grandpa and I wanted to see the sunrise). Aaron had let it slip to my sister that I was coming so the only people that were actually surprised were my grandparents (although they thought something was up because of overhearing Aaron and Tammy) and my aunt Gwen. She lives in the Dominican Republic and it was supposed to be a surprise that she was going to be there but it didn't work too well either! Our family can't keep secrets!

We don't do a whole lot except sit around the fire talking and of course eating at meal time. We had yummy biscuits and gravy for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, and then our "feast" for dinner. That's when we eat the pig. I was happy to note that I wasn't the only one who wasn't happy about not roasting a pig this year. A few of us younger ones are already talking about doing more next year so it's more like the roasts we remember. A lot of them have their own kids now and want them to experience it like we did when we were the little kids.

BF had fun. He said he really felt comfortable with Tammy and Aaron (they liked him too). Mom talked to him more this time and, of course, Dad is difficult to figure out. I told him we'd been trying for a long time and we've learned to love him anyway.

It was so relaxing; we sat around the fire, walked around the farm a little bit, and played frisbee and kicked a soccer ball around. At one point I kicked the ball around with my little cousin, Kim. She's sweet; she's in 8th grade and I've figured out that although she has her ditzy moments, I think she's really smart. School is frustrating for her because it's too easy. She was saying something about being in scholastic bowl and being a nerd and I told her that nerds were the coolest, most interesting people! She is a bit ditzy though; apparently she missed the part about BF being my boyfriend, she thought he was just some unknown cousin. I laughed at her for awhile for that one!

BF and I can be a couple of dorks sometimes. Saturday night when we were getting ready to go to bed, we ended up dancing around to the ringtones on both of our phones. It was funny.

Ok time to go back to work. I have more to tell though so stay tuned!

No comments: