Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Forget regret

I have watched the movie Rent twice this week. There is just something about it that is inspiring to me.

Tonight it is making me think of just wanting to live my life and making the most of it. It's hard right now to do that. It's hard for me to figure out how I can make the most of the time I am somewhere I don't want to be. And I hate sitting around being sad and replaying everything from April until now and regretting most of it.
I moved out here, taking a chance that it would mean that I had found someone I would spend the rest of my life with. The gamble didn't work. I don't know why I thought of him one and then found him on myspace and we ended up talking so much and eventually thinking it could be more. I don't now why everything worked out so well for me to move out here. I don't know why everything seemed to immediately fall apart once I got here (well I have my theories but I won't go into that). I don't know why I had to move all the way to Wichita to figure out that he wasn't right for me.
But the thing is I can't do anything about it. I can't go back and make different decisions. I had no way of knowing what was going to happen and how thing were going to end up.
"Forget regret, or life is yours to miss."

I can't keep regretting all this stuff. I can't regret re-meeting him. I can't regret falling for him. I can't regret not doing things I wanted to in CO like climbing a mountain. I can't regret decisions I've made about money and my attitude towards wanting certain things. I'm always changing, growing, and learning. I'm getting more and more used to just not doing things like going out to eat and going shopping. I'm enjoying simpler things like talking to my friends and family and taking walks in the snow. I just want to be able to be content where I am and whatever my situation is. I want to be able to enjoy my life in all its stages even if it's hard.

1 comment:

Val said...

You know.... maybe instead of regretting the decision, you should give yourself some kudos.

You were willing to take a risk, to take a chance. And you did it for the greatest motivation of all--Love. Does it totally suck that things got all messed up, yes?

But.... you took the chance. You were brave enough to put yourself out there.

That's something a lot of people can't claim.

So maybe after this risk you will be more careful... and that will be good too. Hopefully this will help give you more wisdom to discern these tricky situations. But I hope part of you will always be willing to take a chance for something that could be really wonderful, even though it may mean risking really terrible heart-ache. Love is ALWAYS a risk. And you were brave enough to take it. And that is something that you should *not* regret.