Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Prayer

I have been thinking lately about prayer. What it really is, how to pray, and if it really makes a difference. And what part it plays in my life.

I've never been good at it, I don't think. I've tried to do prayer vigils and CCU had days of prayer that I went to but after about 20 minutes I was itching to get up and leave. I hear about people spending multiple hours in prayer and wonder, really, how they do it.
Most of the time, my prayers happen when I'm tucked into bed and I start talking out loud. Sometimes there's a "Dear God" or "Heavenly Father," but most of the time I just start talking. I am pretty sure this is ok. But I wonder what am I supposed to really pray about? What is prayer really? Oh I know there are tons of Bible verses about it and I know that it's important. But I definitely feel it's one of the areas I just. . .fall short in.

But is that because I think I'm supposed to start every prayer with "Dear Jesus" and spend a certain amount of time in prayer? Is that part of my legalistic background rearing its ugly head? I lean more towards saying "yes."
About a month ago now, I wrote in my prayer journal (another thing that gets written in anywhere from multiple times a day or once every few weeks) that if I could know about a new job by June 15th that would be great. I prefaced it by saying, "I know it probably won't happen." But it did. Was that a God thing? (Again I definitely lean towards yes)
The day after I got back from the camping trip in Colorado I started getting freaked out about my job situation then that same day I found out about a job. Then later that week there were a few more. Here God was answering my prayers when I still had this attitude of He tricked me into moving here and just wanted to see me miserable. Yes, I know really that's not true but still.

And how do I pray about this new relationship? Right now, my prayer seems to be "God help me not be stupid again." But really how do I pray about this? I can't necessarily pray that this ends up being "it," but is it ok to hope for that? What if it's not? I don't know anything for certain.

And how do I pray for people? That is where I really feel I fall short. I hate it I tell someone I'll pray for them but then I realize I don't. Sometimes I'll be completely honest and say "I'll try." But even when I do pray for people the words seem so cliche and shallow. "God please watch over so-and-so and their family." I mean just how shallow does that sound? But I really want to be able to pray for people sincerely.

No comments: